Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Funny few months

It's been a funny few months.

Made some paintings that I'm quite happy with, broke up with a girl I loved, drank far too much for a little while and gained a few kilo which I have since lost. Thank you olympic sized swimming pool, riding and weights! I should also thank Mike Chang while I'm talking about exercise. He is a personal trainer type who I found on Youtube. His videos are a bit douchey but his workout stuff really gets the job done and since they are on Youtube they're all free! Hmmm, what else? I showed the paintings down in Sydney. Looked pretty fab but I failed to sell any. Disappointing. I've also been thinking an awful lot about where I'm going with my life. I often toy with the idea of giving up art and doing something completely different. Tug boat captain comes to mind as a possible option. Maybe I could become a personal trainer? I do like exercise quite a bit :) This is all just pointless fancy though. I am going to be a painter/artist till the day I no longer can and I have to have get comfortable with the fact that I am going to let down quite a number people whilst doing so. I will probably never own a house or a unit. I'll probably never get married or reproduce as I am pretty much married to my work. I will never be rich and I will most likely die poor. The fact is, and it is generally hard to admit, that I do value all these things that I will not do. It is just that I choose to make the value of making art more significant than these other things. It is important to me. Though why it is I cannot exactly say. Perhaps that it is the attraction? The continued possibility of meaning. The arrival of which always being the briefest of satisfactions. A perpetualy moving carrot to chase. Meaning is slippery. Shifty. Yet it is so vital to constructing a sense of the world. Transitory. Elusive (Star Wars joke for those of you who like that sort of thing :)

That is it for tonight. I am sore from exercise and these beers are starting to work.
I love my life but I wish sometimes I didn't feel such doubt about the choices I make.
Enough.
Here is Mike Chang. Enjoy!

Mike Video 1

Mike Video 2

No comments:

Post a Comment