Saturday, May 30, 2009

Questions

Making art is very difficult.
Mainly because so much of it has been made.
When I make art I think about a lot of things.
What do I have a connection with?
This question often focuses on materials, my thoughts on contemporary culture and also art history, all at the same time.
What do I want to make?
Why do I want to make anything at all?
Whats the point?
How will other people interpret it?
How much control should I have over how this thing that is produced?
What is the value of skill, intent?
How valuable is concept, free from materials?
Why do I think that concept and the material I use should be congruous?
I proceed through this miasma by following my gut.
Listening to my rational thoughts (I love the innate duality in thinking).
Following my gut.
Rinse and repeat.
I have more questions and thoughts, buried, they will surface.
In time.
I have faith.
Those of you who know me will find that last line funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment